100% Fresh Daily
OUR BLOG July 2019
Thank you for visiting our website and by doing so we would like to showcase our butchery, as well as keep you up to date with new trends, products and recipes.
Being it hunting season we would like to share a few tips!
• Never cook venison with water – always juice, wine or beer!
• Marinate meat for more flavour.
• Fillet, backstrips and steaks must not be overcooked – medium rare for best results.
• Bone marrow, pork speck, lamb fat(tail) and bacon, all compliment venison – used as stuffing or wrapping around cuts and cooking stews.
• Venison backstrips are the best to make the delicasy carpaccio from.
• Rooibos leaves are wonderful to use for smoking meat.
Herbs and spices which compliment venison are; juniper berries, cloves, coriander, peppercorns, bay leaves, sage, parsley, fennel, thyme, rosemary and garlic to name a few.
Neck or shanks in buttermilk
Cover meat with a mixture of: flour, salt & pepper, brown sugar, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and parsley.
Brown meat in duck fat or a mixture of butter and oil.
Place browned neck in casserole and cover with a mixture of buttermilk, vinegar and worcester sauce.
– slow roast till tender.
We are located on 24 Scott Street, Upington, 8800
GPS: S28° 27'36" | E21° 14'37"
M-T: 7am - 17:30pm
Fri: 7am - 18:00pm
Sat: 7am - 13:00pm